.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

<<~ wakarimasen! ~>>

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

GLC '05

Instead of attending a double-maths day at school, I spent my day in Penrith (a.k.a. middle of nowhere) at the World Vision Global Leadership Convention (with Mai, Andrew, Grace, Sarah, Mel, Jack and Anderson). I started learning before I had even left home. Never thought the stars would still be up at five thirty in the morning nor did I ever think sunrise could look so beautiful against an urban skyline.

That aside, the day was as insightful as I hoped it might be and some of the statistics were really quite disturbing. For example - 2.6 billion people in the world live on under $2 a day (that's roughly 40% of the world's population). I've always known that poverty was quite a large problem but never imagined that it was to such a large extent.

My coffee will never taste the same again either. Most labourers on coffee plantations earn less than sixty cents per hour and are only employed for six months a year. During the working season they have barely enough to keep themselves alive. For the six months when there is no work for them, their families starve. Meanwhile, of the three dollars it costs us for a cup of coffee, only three cents goes back to the farmers. This is the root of the problem. But not all plantations treat their employees in this way. there are places called 'Fair Trade' plantations where the workers are garunteed work for at least two years and paid US$1.26 per hour (that's over double the otehr workers). In order to support fair trade goods (which include coffee, chocolate, tea etc.) we have to insist, as consumers, that large chains supply these goods. Sure, there will be a minor increase in prices (a few cents at most) but think about how this tiny contribution ensures that an entire family, not just an one person, is kept fed for an entire year.

By far the highlight of the day was Alex. Alex is a man from Mozambique who flew all the way to Australia to talk about the poverty which is plaguing his country. He talked about his experiences during his brief time in Australia (he's been here for two weeks) and how different life here is to life in Mozambique. His stories were told in such an animated manner and his sense of humour was amazing for someone who had been through so much. Even if I forget everything else that happened today, I will surely remember this remarkable man's smile.

Anyway, the Sefton crew who were there decided that our school could organise a 40 Hour Famine and raise two to three thousand dollars as a contribution to the crusade against poverty. Two thousand dollars is enough to feed three hundred third world kids for a month. We'd like as many participants as possible. If you don't think you can survive forty hours without food you can always give up something else (e.g. talking, internet, tv, homework...). And if your entire life is so dependent on a routine that, if disrupted, will cause the sky to fall, all donations would be greatly appreciated. As for myself, I'll probably give up cynicism and vulgarities for forty hours and donate another dollar everytime I cuss or make a cynical remark (I'll either be dead or broke after this). If you have any questions feel free to approach myself or any of my cohorts (I don't care if they want to help or not, I'm volunteering them anyway).

P.S. Never bring a backpack when going anywhere with girls unless you want to carry their stuff.

P.P.S. go the Blues!

10 Comments:

  • I figured giving up homework is the best option. At least the teachers won't give me shit in my plight to save mankind from poverty. *superman pose*

    But yeah. It's sad isn't it? The fact that poverty is man-made and avoidable yet everybody reluctantly accepts it as if its a product of nature.

    I hope the goal of raising two to three thousand dollars is reached. Well worth forkin out some lunch money for.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 16, 2005 1:45 AM  

  • In hind sight, two to three thousand wasa gross under-estimate. As the World Vision guy said at assembly today, we raised over four thousand last year so the target this year should be at least that.

    Canteen prices are too high anyway. Feed the kids instead of helping Fitzo pay off his Lexus.

    By Blogger Yuki, at June 16, 2005 3:41 PM  

  • The irony of 'make poverty history' and my last post will never cease to amuse me. SEND POVERTY TO HELL!

    By Blogger Yuki, at June 16, 2005 3:55 PM  

  • Down with poverty! I'm so glad you went Alan. That's one cynic converted! Where's David? Can we send him next?
    What should I give up?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 16, 2005 7:30 PM  

  • maybe i should do it n give up the net. im online every waking hour. im online NOW, in fact.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 16, 2005 8:22 PM  

  • You misinterpret my intentions , Mary. I'm always making cynical remarks about the church, the only remark I have as far as poverty goes is "solve two problems at the same time: feed the homeless to the hungry".

    By Blogger Yuki, at June 16, 2005 9:18 PM  

  • Thuy-An you shifty girl lol. As for you Alan tsk tsk.
    That is all!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 17, 2005 6:31 PM  

  • What am I being tsk-ed for this time?

    By Blogger Yuki, at June 17, 2005 8:39 PM  

  • I'm not too sure... but it's part of the routine. I'm sure there's something you should be tsk-ed for. You know what, tsk tsk for asking too many questions!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 17, 2005 9:15 PM  

  • Tsk Tsk to you for tsk-ing me!

    By Blogger Yuki, at June 17, 2005 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home