.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

<<~ wakarimasen! ~>>

Friday, December 22, 2006

Obligations

People are forever saying things they don't really mean because they live in a society in which they feel obliged to do so. People are obliged to say thank you to shop owners who have just served them ("Thanks a lot for charging me about double what I'd usually pay, mate"). People feel obliged to say sorry to total random strangers for accidentally blocking their way on stairs or what not when they don't really mean it at all. Or perhaps it's become a bit of an instinctive reaction. We feel obliged to say happy birthday to people when what we really bear little good will. We feel obliged to say congratulations to people who beat us in competitions when we mean to tell them they didn't deserve it. We feel obliged to throw please on the end of everything because it somehow makes what we ask for a request rather than a demand. We feel obliged to say see you soon when what we're really thinking is something more along the lines of relief we won't have to see that person for a while.

And even though I think the occassion has become a commercial joke with little meaning, I feel obliged to say to you all, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

4 Comments:

  • Alan Alan Alan, you are WAY too cynical! Alot of the times I say thank you to shop owners, I really do mean it because they were very helpful. Whenever I say sorry to someone for blocking their way or bumping into them I really DO mean it! But you're right in saying it has become an instinctive reaction! It just comes out of me naturally, but it still doesn't mean I don't mean it because I'm still glad I said it! Haha, if that makes any sense.

    You know what annoys me? People that don't FEEL that instinctive reaction to say thank you, sorry and please. NOW THAT'S ANNOYING. I'd rather the people of the world to feel that obligation to be polite, than NOT be obliged, but just downright rude.

    Anyway, MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU my friend :) And I really do mean that!

    By Blogger Jenny, at December 23, 2006 12:17 PM  

  • I think I mean it when I say sorry or thank you about half the time and the other half of the time it's just instinctive. I'm just wondering if we 'mean' it because we're expected to say it and mean it.

    By Blogger Yuki, at December 23, 2006 5:32 PM  

  • Alan, you know as well as anybody that capitalist societies we live in today cannot afford to be brutally honest. And although SOME of us are involuntarily taught to keep the peace by compromising honesty, I bet more people would begin to appreciate the well-wishing words ( even in recognition of its shallow nature ) if the community breaks this habit.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 28, 2006 8:47 PM  

  • And to whom shall we attribute that wonderful comment?

    By Blogger Yuki, at December 28, 2006 11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home