.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

<<~ wakarimasen! ~>>

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Ten Things I Hate About World Youth Day

  1. The word 'youth' is terribly misleading. Christians are not representative of the world's youth and the use of such a word is a feeble attempt to make the event seem universal when really, non-christians (such as myself) really want nothing to do with the whole ordeal.
  2. The use of the word 'day' is similarly misleading. Again, a feeble attempt to comfort Sydney siders. "It's okay, we won't be inconveniencing you for long. We'll only be here for 24 hours... give or take 6 days". Granted "WYW Syd" doesn't look nearly as cool, but I'm sure lying is some sort of sin.
  3. The people attending have officially labeled themselves pilgrims. I don't mean that in a figurative sense either, they actually have passes with the words "Pilgrim Pass" printed on them. Real pilgrims walk because the suffering is supposed to bring spiritual enlightenment. WYD pilgrims take planes, trains and automobiles. Again, very misleading use of a good word.
  4. In the spirit of multiculturalism and political correctness, I don't think it's particularly wise for a government to endorse a religious event, let alone siphon tax money to fund it.
  5. Mass road closures that are causing an absolute headache on our already overcrowded roads. Can't leave them open because some crazy Christian kid might decide he has Christ on his side and walk across 6 lanes of peak hour traffic.
  6. Our already overcrowded trains are now even more crowded. Fortunately, Cityrail have provided more services to help cope with the extra load. Unfortunately, these 'added' services are actually required to cope with the load every other day of the year. We need extra extra services.
  7. I don't yell out "Satan" every few seconds and I expect you all to pay me the same courtesy and not yell out "Jesus" every few seconds. If not, I will rally a horde and stage a week long counter event to be known as WAW (World Atheist Week).
  8. The constant assertion that the event is "just like the Olympics" and "the best thing that could possibly happen to Sydney". No, it is nothing remotely like the Olympics and quite frankly, the best thing for Sydney would be if the people making these assertions would leave Sydney.
  9. The damage that will be done to the turf at Hyde Park which will take several months to repair after the masses (no pun intended) have left.
  10. The Pope says, "Jump". Sydney says, "How high?"

7 Comments:

  • I love you Alan.
    WYD shits me too so I went on holiday and took the rest of the week off work so that I didnt have to deal with it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 17, 2008 11:53 AM  

  • Wow! I'm surprised you still visit this little hall of rants. I haven't seen you ages, dear! We should meet up for drinks sometime (preferably when I have some philosophy assignments due as the alcohol makes coming up with crazy examples much easier).

    By Blogger Yuki, at July 17, 2008 4:53 PM  

  • ROFL LMAO!

    That's a good list there.

    P.S I think that's a good reason

    By Blogger happiness_lives_on, at July 19, 2008 12:33 AM  

  • Yes definately lets meet up, my mobile number is on my facebook which Im sure Ive added you so next time you have an assignment we'll do some drinking.
    Oh and I loved the post so much I reffered my boyfriend to it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 21, 2008 8:08 PM  

  • tell me about it aldo!

    i was on the train today to visit cheng and there was this stupid dude standing in the aisle beside me with a giant brazilian flag literally yelling out "brazil" every 5 seconds. sheesh !

    btw .. isnt world youth week for catholics not christians?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 21, 2008 11:42 PM  

  • *shrugs* Same deal.

    By Blogger Yuki, at July 22, 2008 5:09 PM  

  • *nods* I believe in life all we want is to be happy.

    By Blogger happiness_lives_on, at July 30, 2008 7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home