.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

<<~ wakarimasen! ~>>

Monday, September 29, 2008

Introducing my family

While rummaging through my stationary cupboard today and doing an inventory to find out what needed replenishing (which turns out to be just a fresh pad of parchment for letter writing), I realised that I owned quite a few nice pens. In no particular order I currently own:

-a silver Parker IM (ballpoint): despite being the baby of the Parker family in terms of price (they retail at a very affordable $10 AUD), they are still very reliable and feel quite nicely weighted in the hand.

-a silver Parker Jotter (ballpoint): the next step up from the IM is the every reliable Jotter which has been around for as long as I can remember being interested in shiny inky goodness. The one I have I received from my mother, who tells me the pen is about as old as I am. Despite it's age and the fact that I've probably dropped it over a dozen times (usually flying from my shirt pocket while chasing down public transport), it still functions perfectly.

-a blue Parker Reflex (ballpoint): this was the model that was superseded by the IM as Parker's entry level pen. The one that I own is in a fairly poor state, with the rubber grip all but worn through, and the spring mechanism also fairly defunct. While it was working though, it was fun to write with and the longer than usual barrel helped balance out the pen.

-a blue Waterman Harmonie (fountain): one of the newest pens in my collection and an absolute beauty. Typically of Waterman, this pen possesses an understated sense of elegance yet stands out from the crowd. The ink flow from the nib is gloriously smooth and the pen feels very poised in the hand when writing, with or without the cap.

-a black Parker Sonnet (ballpoint): I rarely leave the house without this pen. Of the pens that I own, this is probably the most elegant of the ballpoints. While I thoroughly enjoy writing with fountain pens and calligraphy pens, there are some things that can only be done with a ballpoint. Namely the crossword puzzles in newspapers.

-a silver Sheaffer Agio (fountain): my other day to day pen, I use this for everything that I can. It's a tad light for my liking, but the nib is fairly durable and seems to become smoother with use. Not quite as elegant as some of my other pens, but still nice and understated.

-a brushed metal Lamy Logo (calligraphy): probably the most fun to write with of the pens I own (owing primarily to the turqoise ink it's charged with). The calligraphy nib lets me write beautiful script (or at least it will once I learn how to write beautifully) as well as barely legible scrawl (in which I am very well practiced). The ribbed grip section and the spring loaded clip are also very practical touches.

-a black Parker Vector (calligraphy): surprisingly cheap for a calligraphy pen ($50 AUD for the pen, 4 nibs of varying broadness, 6 cartridges, and an annoying draw converter). Handy for learning the ins and outs of calligraphy although the lightness of the pen does tend to allow your hand to dance around the page somewhat. But hey, I guess at that price you can't really complain too much.

So there you have it. My happy little family, which I hope to add to as time passes (and my bank balance permits). And for those of you who have no idea what any of these pens look like, you can find photos of them here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home